Composer is a package manager used by most of the PHP projects and frameworks. In this session, we look at the different components of the composer and basic functionality. Drupal 8 has various contrib scaffolding projects and the new composer system in Drupal core 8.8.0.
The workshop provides sample projects to replicate real-time scenarios of the development cycle and how to handle upgrades, resolve conflicts, and change(patch) projects (without hacking).
Finally, we look at common issues that occur in the development cycle and how to avoid/fix them.
- How to use composer to create a Drupal 8 project
- What is semantic versioning
- How to update the Drupal core
- How to update contrib modules
- How to patch core/contrib projects
- How to manage asset libraries
- How to fix a few common composer issues in Drupal 8 development cycle